Thursday 30 January 2014

Beans, Beans! They make you healthy.

I have always loved beans. For me they make me feel at home wherever I am. I can remember eating beans when I was a small child. My grandmother would serve me up a big bowl of beans and sometimes two. And as a fast growing youngster I would stay full for hours. They just make my body feel good!


Washing the beans. We used pinto beans, black beans and garbanzo beans.
Soaking the beans. This should be started the evening before .
Just starting to cook the beans. This usually takes about 6 hours. Notice the bay leaves floating on top.


Skimming the foam off the beans. An important part of making them taste really good.
         
The carefully prepped ingredients!
Adding the caramelized garlic, onions and celery. The carrots were added raw, we added cooked corn, two cans of quality diced tomatoes, salt, pepper and cayenne powder.
A heaping cup of red/white quinoa will add that nutty flavor. The mixture then needs to be cooked for about 45 minutes.
Ready to eat! The only thing I was missing was the fresh, black skillet, corn bread. Maybe next time.

3 comments:

  1. Goody goody, I do so love beans and this is bound to be good!!!!
    Thankx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking for a bean soup recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete